Sunday 1 February 2015

The Broom Book Project

I'm currently working on a project in my spare time, to bring some of the classic works of BroomKondo to a wider audience.  It's something I've wanted to do for a long time, but thought it would be far too pricey. 

Looking at self publishing services online, the cost per volume would have been much too high for me to finance.  It was the present of an Amazon gift voucher that set me along a different route.

With modern desktop printers, the actual text isn't a problem.  I simply type it up and print it out.  But how to present it in a more professional way?  I have done some short A5 booklets in the past, but I wanted something grander.  Browsing through Amazon, considering what I'd spend my birthday voucher on, I remembered seeing a blog post with pictures of some hand bound books the author had made as part of a course and the looked great.  So, I got a Kindle book on the subject and a starter kit that contained the basic supplies needed.

Along with a couple of excellent YouTube guides (I'll add links at the bottom) and I was off and running.  I have to say that I've been rather impressed with the results.  I've never been especially good at anything in the way of arts & crafts.  My drawing skills are close to zero and arts classes back at school put me right off.  I did enjoy Technical Drawing though and can use a ruler, straight edge etc. just fine. Following the instructions, I've made some rather elegant looking notebooks.

Next, I simply need to replace the blank pages that I've been using for the notebook with the printed pages of, say, "The Ways of the Broom" and bind them myself.  Once I have a few made, I can then add the proper library classification on the spine and start inserting them on the shelves of major libraries in the region.

As a side project, I'm also working on a facsimile edition of the famed Scopae Mortuorum .  I'll try and keep you informed of my progress via this blog.

LINKS:-

From Sea Lemon there's these two tutorials that will take you right through the process.

here: http://youtu.be/XGQ5P8QVHSg and
here: http://youtu.be/Av_rU-yOPd4

No comments:

Post a Comment